The test will cover all the materials that were thought in DULA MSOM program following the breakdown percentage of the contents.
The purpose of CGE is to evaluate the student’s knowledge and preparation before graduation and sit on the state licensing and/or national exam. Please understand that the state licensing exams and/or national exams use textbooks, not instructors’ notes, when designing test questions. Therefore, you are required to read the textbooks and adequately understand the materials.
To also help the student in preparing CGE and MCE, students may practice the questions from these following books (these books can be borrowed in DULA library). Please be noticed, these books only serve as self-study, therefore real question in CGE, MCE, CALE and/or NCCAOM may be different, however as for the MCE and CGE, at least 30% of the questions will be created in each quarter from these practice questions’ books:
- Review and Pretest for NCCAOM and California Licensing Exams in TCM foundation, 2018, Dong Cheng Li
- Review and Pretest for NCCAOM and California Licensing Exams in Chinese Herbology, 2018, Dong Cheng Li
- Review and Pretest for NCCAOM and California Licensing Exams in Biomedicine, 2018, Dong Cheng Li
- Review and Pretest for NCCAOM and California Licensing Exams in Acupuncture with Point Location, 2018, Dong Cheng Li
Please also read the following general reference textbooks in preparing for your CGE:
- Jameson et al, Harisson’s Principles of Internal Medicine 20th Edition, McGraw Hill, 2018.
- Beers, M., R. Porter, T. Jones, J. Kaplan and M. Berkwits, The Merck Manual of Diagnosis and Therapy (19th Edition), Whitehouse Station, NJ, Merck Research Laboratories, 2011.
- Bensky, D., V. Scheid, A. Ellis and R. Barolet, Chinese Herbal Medicine: Formulas and Strategies (2nd Edition), Seattle, Eastland Press, 2009.
- Bensky, D., S. Clavey and E. Stöger, Chinese Herbal Medicine: Materia Medica (3rd Edition), Seattle, Eastland Press, 2004.
- Bickley, L. and P. Szilagyi, Bates’ Guide to Physical Examination and History Taking (12th Edition), Philadelphia, Wolters Kluwer Health / Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2017.
- Magee, David J. Orthopedic Physical Assessment, 6th ed. St. Louis, MO: Saunders Elsevier, 2013.
- Cheng, X., Chinese Acupuncture and Moxibustion 3rd edition, Beijing, Foreign Language Press, 2010.
- Deadman, P. and M. Al-Khafaji, A Manual of Acupuncture (2nd Edition), East Sussex, England, Journal of Chinese Medicine Publications, 2007.
- Deng, T., Practical Diagnosis in Traditional Chinese Medicine, New York, Churchill Livingstone, 1999.
- Johns Robert, The Art of Acupuncture Techniques, North Atlantic Books, 1996.
- Katzung, Bertram G., Susan B. Masters, and Anthony J. Trevor, eds. Basic and Clinical Pharmacology. 14th ed. New York: McGraw Hill Medical, 2017.
- Karch, A., Lippincott’s Nursing Drug Guide, Philadelphia, Wolters Kluwer / Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2014.
- Maciocia, G., The Foundations of Chinese Medicine: A Comprehensive Text for Acupuncturists and Herbalists (3rd Edition), New York, Churchill Livingstone, 2015.
- Maciocia, G., Tongue Diagnosis in Chinese Medicine (Revised Edition), Seattle, Eastland Press, 1995.
- Maciocia, G., The Practice of Chinese Medicine: The Treatment of Diseases with Acupuncture and Chinese Herbs 2nd Edition, Churcil Livingstone, 2008.
- Nigel Wisemann and Andrew Ellis, Fundamentals of Chinese Medicine, Revised Edition, 1995.
- Ted Kaptchuk, The Web that Has No Weaver: Understanding Chinese Medicine, 2000.
- McPhee, S. and M. Papadakis, Current Medical Diagnosis & Treatment (57th Edition), New York, McGraw-Hill, 2018.
- National Acupuncture Foundation, Clean Needle Technique Manual for Acupuncturists: Guidelines and Standards for the Clean and Safe Clinical Practice of Acupuncture (7th Edition), Washington, DC, National Acupuncture Foundation, 2015.
- Pagana, K. and T. Pagana, Mosby’s Manual of Diagnostic and Laboratory Tests (13th Edition), St. Louis, Mosby Elsevier, 2016.
- Fischbach, Frances and Marshall B. Dunning. A Manual of Laboratory and Diagnostic Tests. 9th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins Publishers, 2014.
- Patton, K. and G. Thibodeau, Anatomy and Physiology (9th Edition), St. Louis, Mosby Elsevier, 2015.
- Pitchford, P., Healing with Whole Foods: Asian Traditions and Modern Nutrition (3rd Edition), Berkeley, North Atlantic Books, 2002.
- Bensky D., O’Connor John, Shanghai College of Traditional Chinese Medicine, Acupuncture: A Comprehensive Text, Seattle, Eastland Press, 1996.
- Acupuncture Board, Laws and Regulations Relating to the Practice of Acupuncture, Sacramento, California Department of Consumer Affairs, 2018.
- NCCAOM Code of Ethics (http://www.nccaom.org/nccaom-code-of-ethics/)
It is also important for you to be familiar with the reference from NCCAOM and CA Acupuncture Board. You may see the reference textbooks list from CALE in here but it is to be noticed that California does not produce any of the reference list again now. To see the textbooks reference from NCCAOM you need to see the NCCAOM Exam Preparation Book in here.