Dongguk University Los Angeles is committed to providing support services to achieve equal access to the education experience. The Academic Committee approves and coordinates accommodations and services for students with disabilities at Dongguk University Los Angeles to help students acquire skills essential to achieve academic and personal success.
The Student Services Coordinator is available to provide assistance for students who exhibit significant difficulties due to a disability. DULA will support students to understand his/her limited abilities and compensate for them with ADA accommodations and alternative resources as well. Here at Dongguk University Los Angeles, we want to prepare students for the future by practicing self-advocacy. We will help guide the student on that journey by utilizing all available resources.
Registration for assistance from the Student Services Coordinator is on a voluntary, self-identifying basis. However, services are only available after a student has registered and presents current documentation of the disability from an appropriate specialist or physician. All information and documentation are confidential.
Steps to Register with Disability Services
In order to receive accommodations from Disability Services from the Student Services Office, students must provide documentation of their disability from an appropriate professional. If a student already has the appropriate documentation, they may make an appointment with the Student Services Coordinator. Students must bring their documentation to the meeting.
Students desiring academic support services for disabilities are required to submit documentation to verify eligibility under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1974 and the Americans with Disabilities Act. All assessment reports will be kept confidential at Disability Services in compliance with the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), and the professional and ethical standards of the Association on Higher Education and Disability (AHEAD). The following guidelines are provided to insure that reports are sufficient and appropriate to verify eligibility.
General Guidelines for Required Documentation:
1. Be current, within the last 5 years for Learning Disabilities is recommended, last 6 months for psychiatric disabilities, or last 3 years for all other disabilities (does not apply to physical or sensory disabilities of a permanent or unchanging nature).
2. State clearly the diagnosed disability (including a DSM-IV code where appropriate).
3. Describe the functional limitations resulting from the disability.
4. Include complete educational, developmental, and medical history relevant to the disability for which testing accommodations are being requested.
5. Include a list of all test instruments used in the evaluation report and relevant subtest scores used to document the stated disability (does not apply to physical or sensory disabilities of a permanent or unchanging nature).
6. Describe the specific accommodations requested and detailed explanation of why each accommodation is recommended.
7. List relevant medications. Does medication substantially limit college-level academic pursuits? If yes, how substantial is the limitation? Does the individual experience any side effects from the medication in such a way as to negatively affect his or her ability to study and or learn?
8. BE TYPED OR PRINTED ON OFFICIAL LETTERHEAD and be signed by an evaluator qualified to make the diagnosis (include information about license or certification, background and area of specialization).
*Prescription pad notes will not be accepted.
Student Responsibility for Disability Accommodations
Student must contact the Student Services Coordinator if he/she has a disability and desires accommodations. Student must provide required documentation to establish the need for accommodations. Student must contact all his/her individual instructors regarding the accommodations each individual quarter.
Person to Contact:
Katie Star, Student Services Coordinator
440 Shatto Place, 2nd Floor, Los Angeles, CA 90020
213-487-0110 ext. 406