The Mission of Dongguk University Los Angeles is to:
- explore and embody the principles and practices of traditional East Asian medicine;
- develop a community of skilled medical practitioners; and
- provide accessible health care services to the local community.
Master's Program Educational Objectives:
To train healers who are able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the theoretical and historical contexts of Oriental Medicine;
- Apply this understanding to accurately diagnose patients;
- Utilize bio-medical diagnostic methods and refer to other practitioners as appropriate;
- Competently plan, perform, assess and adjust acupuncture treatments for common conditions and patterns;
- Competently prescribe and modify herbal formulas for common conditions and patterns;
- Embody and advise on healthy lifestyle choices; and
- Identify, define and model best practices for professional success.
Doctoral Program Educational Objectives:
To create leading scholars and doctors of Oriental Medicine through an advanced specialized academic and clinical program that will produce the following competencies:
- Competently apply the advanced diagnosis and treatment skills of the program's core Oriental Medicine curriculum and clinical specialties;
- Exhibit deepened understanding of the foundational text and traditions of Oriental Medicine in order to produce respected scholarship;
- Demonstrate sufficient competency in integrative medical practices to advance Oriental Medicine and effectively collaborate on patient care within the current US healthcare system and internationally;
- Develop and engage “best practices” in patient-centered clinical management;
- Critically evaluate and creatively contribute to clinical research in Oriental Medicine and Integrative Medicine; and
- Engage practices of life-long learning through scholarship and advanced clinical practice.