The mission of Dongguk University Los Angeles is to:
- Explore and embody the principles and practices of traditional East Asian medicine.
- Develop a community of skilled medical practitioners.
- Provide accessible health care services to the local community.
Master's Program Educational Objectives
To train healers who are able to:
- Demonstrate an understanding of the theoretical and historical contexts of oriental medicine.
- Apply this understanding to accurately diagnose patients.
- Utilize bio-medical diagnostic methods and refer to other practitioners as appropriate.
- Competently plan, perform, assess, and adjust acupuncture treatments for common conditions and patterns.
- Competently prescribe and modify herbal formulas for common conditions and patterns.
- Embody and advise on healthy lifestyle choices, and
- Identify, define, and model best practices for professional success.
Doctorate's Program Purpose
The purpose of the Doctorate in Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (DAOM) at Dongguk University Los Angeles (DULA) is to create leading scholars and practitioners of Oriental Medicine through an advanced specialized academic, research, and application of traditional clinical modalities. The program of study focuses on research, advanced clinical specialties, as well as integration and collaboration between and other healthcare professionals. The graduates will meet the stated educational objectives of the program.
Doctorate's Program Educational Objectives
In support of the DAOM Purpose Statement, DULA has established the following DAOM Educational Objectives.
Upon completion of the DAOM program, students will be able to:
- Competently apply the advanced diagnosis and treatment skills of the program's core Oriental Medicine curriculum
- Demonstrate competency in critical application of evidence-based medicine towards research, scholarship, and patient-care
- Demonstrate competency in application of advanced Traditional Korean Medicine theories and modalities within the program's specialty.
- Demonstrate ability to educate others in acupuncture and oriental medicine
- Demonstrate competency in integrative medical practices to advance Oriental Medicine and effectively collaborate on patient care with other healthcare systems
- Demonstrate competency in engaging in "best practices" in patient-centered clinical management